The Private Sector Leasing Scheme is a joint initiative between Brighton & Hove City Council and the University of Brighton. We take on privately owned homes on long term leases, and use them to house local families in need of accommodation and to provide accommodation options for students in the city.
The scheme is designed to help owners get a regular income from their property, while helping the community by providing accommodation for families and young people in full time study.
- Guaranteed rental income with flexible contract periods, for up to ten years
- rent paid even if your property is empty
- a full photographic inventory service at no expense to the owner
- no expensive management fees or commission
- student tenants sourced and vetted as part of the scheme
- regular property inspections and reporting to owners
- day to day maintenance service available
- experienced staff on hand to deal with any problems – we manage the tenants as well as the property
- no requirement to join a deposit protection scheme
- guaranteed vacant possession at the end of the agreed term.
This new scheme brings additional benefits to owners and the community with the introduction of a multi-agency community liaison team that provides a focal point of contact for the wider community. The community liaison team includes a dedicated warranted police officer assigned from Sussex Police, a community liaison manager, a dedicated liaison officer and an environmental health officer.
The team have:
- extensive experience at resolving complaints
- professional relationships with local authorities and their internal departments
- links with Environmental Health departments and Sussex Police county wide.
The community liaison team works with individuals, community groups, residents associations and other appropriate external agencies with a view to promoting and maintaining positive relationships between the students and non-student residents in areas where students live or campuses are sited.
There is no cost to the owner or landlord. With no management fees or commission, the offer you are given will be the payment you receive every month. Once a lease is agreed and signed, rent payments are guaranteed even if the property is vacant.
We need properties to meet our general property standards. We are looking for:
- self-contained properties of all sizes in all areas of our city
- unfurnished properties or furnished properties that are clean, safe, secure and in reasonable state of decoration
- properties that meet health and safety standards
You will need:
- a current gas and electrical safety certificates
- an Energy Performance Certificate for your property
- adequate buildings insurance.
We will carry out minor internal repairs and attend to accidental damage not normally covered by insurance. The property will be returned to you in good repair, accounting for fair wear and tearYou will be responsible for the structure of the building and external repairs