Skip to content
The colourful houses of Hanover in Brighton


Short stay students

Students who are here for a full academic year have priority for university accommodation.

If you are arriving at University of Brighton for Semester B (February onwards), it is possible, however, that we will have spaces available in halls which we will be delighted to offer to you.  Unfortunately, if you are arriving at University of Brighton for Semester A only (September to February) we will not be able to offer you a place in halls and you will need to find some accommodation in the private sector.

The Accommodation Office has details of different types of accommodation and we will help you as much as possible in finding something suitable although the amount of accommodation available will vary according to the time of year that you arrive.

You should be aware that most landlords or letting agents will expect you to sign a tenancy agreement of at least 6 months if you are taking self-contained accommodation.  If you plan to be here for less than that time, it is often best for you to rent a room in the landlord’s own home, where you will not have to sign a long term tenancy.

It is always best for you to view accommodation before undertaking to move in.  We recommend that, when you arrive, you book into a hotel or other short-term accommodation and then visit us in the Accommodation Office for further information and advice.

Information that short stay students may find useful can be obtained from the following sources:

  • All accommodation in the private sector such as rooms available in shared houses with other students or rooms available in an owner's home is available on studentpad. You will need to obtain a validation password to access the site (please contact the appropriate accommodation office).
  • Local newspapers sometimes advertise details of short-stay accommodation. The Brighton Evening Argus is published daily, although Wednesday is the best day for accommodation advertisements, online at: The Friday Ad is useful and can be obtained free from newsagents on Fridays, updated daily online at:
  • There are a number of letting agents in the Brighton area, however it's recommended that you only use an agent affiliated to an accreditation body. The three main accreditation bodies are:
  • If you are coming from outside the UK you will probably be expected to pay all of your rent in advance, unless you can provide UK guarantors.  Most agencies will expect you to sign a tenancy agreement for at least 6 months so, if you wish to rent a property for less than this you will probably have to pay more than the standard rate. 
  • If you are here for a very short time, or need somewhere short term to stay while you are looking for more permanent accommodation, then you can book into a hotel, guesthouse or hostel.  If you are staying for a while, you may be able to negotiate a reduced rate.  You can access a list of hotels at:
  • Jewish students should note that Brighton has a Hillel House, established to serve the social and cultural needs of Jewish students as well as to provide them with accommodation.  Further information available at:
  • If you wish to see where a particular property is located on a map of the area, and you have the property’s postcode, contact:
Find out more

For any further general information on accommodation, contact the Accommodation Offices.