Our degrees in economics and finance open up a wide range of career paths. Many graduates go on to find employment in the financial sector, but our courses also provide excellent preparation for a career in the public sector or international development institutions.
- Undergraduate economics and finance courses
- Postgraduate economics and finance courses
- Specialised facilities
- Specialist skills
At undergraduate level we offer:
- Accounting and Finance, BSc(Hons)
- Finance and Investment, BSc(Hons)
- Business Management with Economics, BSc(Hons)
- Business Management with Finance, BSc(Hons)
Work placement opportunities
We encourage all of our undergraduate students to take a placement year between the second and final year. It allows you to apply your accumulated skills in paid employment and gain valuable hands-on experience. It also helps you to build industry contacts that will be invaluable when you graduate.
Placement companies for our economics and finance students include: American Express, AXA Investment Managers, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, Dow Jones, Ernst & Young, Financial Services Authority, FTSE Group, HM Revenue and Customs, Goldman Sachs International, KPMG, Lloyds Banking Group, LMDB Accountants, PricewaterhouseCoopers and The Bank of England.
You will be taught by experienced professionals who combine industry know-how with academic rigour. Our members of staff are active in consultancy and maintain excellent professional contacts. This ensures that the course is continually updated to meet the changing nature of the financial markets.
Brighton is one of only a handful of universities in the UK to have a trading room which simulates a real trading environment. Streaming up-to-the-minute data from Reuters, the trading room uses state of the art commercial software to provide an exciting learning environment.
It provides a hands-on opportunity for students to react instantly to live news feeds and gain the skills required to work productively in the financial services industry.
Specialist skills you can gain from our economics and finance degrees include:
- knowledge of commerce and the financial markets
- an understanding of the complex financial decisions in the context of an ever-changing environment
- key skills in gathering, analysing and presenting information
- an understanding of the impact of globalisation and advance in technology on the financial markets
- key skills in numeracy, problem solving, self-organisation, time management, working with others, IT and communication
- crucial skills in the interpretation of information and detailed reports.