2, 9, 16, 23 September 2013
Strategic marketing management: Monday 2 September 2013
Financial management: Monday 9 September 2013
People management: Monday 16 September 2013
Business planning and implementation: Monday 23 September 2013
£950 for four days, £275 for each individual day
This management training programme offers an overview of some of the key management and business issues of today. It is for people who are new to management positions and those who wish to refresh and enhance existing skills.
The four-day course covers marketing strategy, talent management, financial management and business planning and implementation, although each day may be taken as a separate stand-alone course.
Day 1: Monday 2 September 2013
Strategic Marketing Management: Dr Clifford Conway
This module will enable delegates to gain a useful insight into the key issues faced by companies in competitive environments. Topics covered include:
- Strategic thinking: mission and vision
- Analysing the business environment: PEST factors
- Analysing and matching company resources: SWOT
- Using business models: Ansoff’s matrix, Porter’s 5 Forces analysis, Porter’s Generic strategies.
Day 2: Monday 9 September 2013
Financial Management: AJ Cilliers
This module will examine the implications of managing cash flow which is often the decisive factor for company success or failure. Issues for discussion will include:
- Financial concepts and decisions
- Pricing and cost/volume profit analysis
- Investment appraisal
- Cash forecasting
- Interpretation of accounts.
Day 3: Monday 16 September 2013
People Management: Sian Eggert/Dr Jenny Knight
Managing the skills and talents of staff is essential for service delivery excellence. The module will focus on:
- Recruiting and selecting the best people
- Developing skills and high commitment
- Creating synergistic teams
- Reward and retention of special staff
- Maximising organisational learning.
Day 4: Monday 23 September 2013
Business planning and implementation
This module will enable delegates to integrate the other modules into an outline business plan and examine how the marketing plan in particular will enable company objectives to be implemented. This workshop can also be taken independently of the other modules. The module will include:
- A business planning model
- Marketing research tools and techniques
- Questionnaire design and focus group management
- Marketing mix implementation.
Learning will be through a combination of formal input coupled with discussion, mini-case studies and work sheet exercises. All course materials will be provided.
The course tutors are from the University of Brighton Business School, one of the leading schools of business management, law and finance in the country. The Business School’s extensive applied research and consultancy activity ensures that the best and latest developments in industry, commerce and the public sector are incorporated into their courses.
All three tutors are highly experienced in their field, with a wealth of practical experience.
- Dr Clifford Conway is a lecturer in marketing and entrepreneurship and senior advisor to the Brighton and Hove Chamber of Commerce
- Dr Jenny Knight is a lecturer in Organizational Behaviour on the undergraduate, post graduate and professional programmes
- AJ Cilliers is a lecturer in accountancy and finance.
Download course leaflet 995KB pdf