This page has been designed to give a starting point for those looking into careers in advertising.
Advertising is a form of communication. It is the marketing and promotion of a product, service or event. The UK advertising industry is regarded as a centre of excellence worldwide (Prospects). Approximately 3,000 advertising, media and marketing communications agencies are listed throughout the UK with about 75% of the industry's workforce to be found in London alone.
- Prospects Types of jobs - Advertising, marketing and PR
Prospects is a graduate careers website with job profiles, including advertising account executive, advertising account planner, advertising copywriter, media buyer, media planner
- Prospects - Advertising and PR Sector Briefing
Includes job roles, how to get into the industry, the major companies and information sources.
Targetjobs is a graduate careers website with the following job sector information.
- See the Courses Databases for University of Brighton courses in this area.
- Institute of Advertising Practitioners
Includes details of how to get in and on in the advertising industry.
- Creative and Cultural Sector Skills Council
The advertising industry comes under the umbrella of the CCSS council and information about the sector is available on their website.
- Prospects Community - Media and Publishing
Including advertising, promotion, marketing, publishing, media and the performing arts.
Aims to help improve life for those working in the world of advertising and media via the provision of advice, support and career guidance.
- For information on local, national, graduate schemes and other vacancies see our information on finding vacancies
- Institute of Practitioners in Advertising
You must register to use this site. This is the industry body and professional institute for the UK's advertising and marketing communications business. The website includes a graduate careers site for students and jobs in member companies.
- The Advertising Association
A federation of trade bodies representing the advertising and promotional marketing industries including advertisers, agencies, media and support services. Includes an advertising careers guide.
- Campaign Magazine
Weekly advertising magazine with national and international coverage of news, comment and in-depth sector reports covering media, marketing and advertising, including a job hunting section.
- Creative Pool
If you are looking for a UK advertising, creative, design, media or web job then Creative Pool is the place to find your next career move.
- Incorporated Society of British Advertisers
Representative body on all aspects of marketing and communication.
- Institute of Practitioners in Advertising/Diagonal Thinking
IPA is a trade and professional body for advertising, media and marketing communications agencies. 'Diagonal Thinking’ is their concept which underpins a new tool designed to aid the recruitment of talent into the creative industries.