Staff Volunteering Scheme
- Would you like to get involved with activities in your local community?
- Are you interested in volunteering but feel you don’t have enough spare time?
If so, the university’s new Staff Volunteering Scheme might just be the right thing for you!
- What is the Staff Volunteering Scheme?
- Why should I get involved?
- What kind of opportunities are available?
- Where do I find opportunities?
- How do I get started?
- How do I find out more?
As part of its commitment to community engagement, the University of Brighton has established a scheme, which enables members of staff to take part in a wide range of voluntary opportunities in the local community.
The scheme offers up to five days of contracted hours (pro-rata for part time staff) for volunteering activity to academic, professional and support staff.
Volunteering offers an opportunity to actively contribute to the communities in which we work (and may also live). You can use your knowledge, skills and experiences to support a community or voluntary sector organisation in its service delivery or strategic development.
Volunteering is also a great way to develop new skills and engage with new people taking on exciting and rewarding challenges. Volunteering benefits the local community, you and the university!
Active Student, the University’s volunteering service and Cupp, the Community University Partnership Programme, work together with hundreds of community and voluntary sector organisations in the local area, who are looking for volunteers to get involved in their projects or who would like to become trustees on their management board. Volunteer opportunities range from administrators, mentors or policy advisers to conservation or activity camp volunteers.
All our volunteering opportunities are listed with the vacancy and events service.
To find opportunities:
- Login or register with the vacancy and events service*
- On the vacancy search page select voluntary work under Type of vacancy before you search.
- Follow the instructions on how to apply that are included with each opportunity.
* The registration process asks for details of current or most recent course of study and other data more relevant to student users. Please be assured that staff are welcome to use the service.
In addition to accessing a regularly updated source of volunteering opportunities across Brighton and Hove and East Sussex, you can also familiarise yourself with the wide range of opportunities and events we advertise for students and graduates.
If you have any queries about accessing the vacancy and events service please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01273 64 4145
- Download the guidance notes (pdf 160kb) for further details on the kind of activities you can get involved in and the criteria the volunteering opportunity needs to fulfil
- Select the volunteering opportunity you would like to get involved in:
For local volunteering opportunities register with the vacancy and events service
- Complete the application form (word 102kb)which needs to be signed off by your line manager and Head of School or Department.