Professor Gina Wisker
Professor of Higher Education
& Contemporary Literature,
Head of Centre for Learning and Teaching
Telephone: 01273 643446
Gina Wisker is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a National Teaching Fellow.
She has worked in Educational Development since the early 1980s initially in her previous role at Anglia Ruskin University, where she also coordinated women's studies and taught English.
Gina is active in the Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), and was awarded a SEDA legacy award for outstanding scholarship in 2013. She has been Chair and co-chair of HEDG (Heads of Educational Development Group) and has run workshops and given keynotes at a number of learning and teaching conferences in Australasia, South Africa, Sweden, Singapore and Ireland over the last few years. Gina conducts workshops for the British Council in Saudi Arabia.
She continues to research and publish in both learning and teaching areas - specialising in postgraduate student learning and supervisory practices, and in her discipline, specialising in women's, Gothic and postcolonial writing. Gina is committed to maintaining a successful discipline profile as a key foundation for credibility as an academic colleague involved in and facilitating the development of others engaged in the scholarship of teaching in Higher Education. Gina has also written numerous articles and has offered frequent lectures and papers that are related to the profession of teaching literature in English, and creative writing.
- PhD. Supervision as an Emotional Process – Critical Situations and Emotional Boundary Work” author(s): Thomas Johansson, Gina Wisker, Silwa Claesson, Ola Strandler and Elisabeth Saalman JSSH Vol. 22 (3) Sept. 2014
- Wisker, G. (2005 , 2nd edn 2011). The Good Supervisor. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wisker, G. (2010). 'The "good enough" doctorate: doctoral learning journeys'. Acta Academica Supplementum, 1, 223-242.
- Wisker, G. (2009). The Undergraduate Research Handbook Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kiley, M. & Wisker, G. (2009). 'Threshold concepts in research education and evidence of threshold crossing'. Higher Education Research and Development, 28(4), 431-441.
- McAlpine, L. & Wisker, G. (2009). Innovations in Education and Teaching International. Special issue: Embracing contraries in research on doctoral education, 46(3), 317-330.
- Wisker, G., Morris, C., Warnes, M., Lilly, M., Robinson, G., Trafford, V. & Cheng, M. (2009). 'Doctoral learning journeys: supporting and enhancing doctoral students' research and related skills development through research evidence-based practices.' In Assessment, Learning & Teaching Journal (5), 19-22.
- Wisker, G. & Robinson, G. (2009). 'Encouraging postgraduate students of literature and art to cross conceptual thresholds.' In Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 46(3).
- Wisker, G., & Kiley, M. (2008). 'Learning to be a Researcher: The Concepts and Crossings'. In J. Meyer & R. Land (Eds.) Threshold Concepts within the Disciplines.Sense Publishers.
- Wisker, G. (2008). 'Improving postgaduate student leaning for sustainable social development, research capacity building and personal growth'. In Christ Rust (Ed.)Improving student learning for what? The proceedings of the 15th Improving Student Learning symposium, Dublin, 2007. Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development.
- Wisker, G., Antoniou, M., Ridley, P., Morris, C., & Exley, K. (2007). One-to-one Teaching: Supervising, Mentoring and Coaching. Falmer: Routledge.
- Wisker, G. (2007). The Postgraduate Research Handbook: Succeed with your MA, MPhil, EdD and PhD.(Second ed.). Basingstoke: Palgrave. (Palgrave Study Guides).
- Wisker, G., Kiley, M., & Aiston, S. (2006). 'Making the learning leap: Research students crossing conceptual thresholds'. In M. Kiley & G. Mullins (Eds.) Quality in Postgraduate Research: Knowledge creation in testing times (pp. 195-201). Canberra: The Australian National University.
- Wisker, G. (2005). Developing and Assessing Students’ Oral Skills Birmingham: Staff and Educational Development Association.
- Wisker, G. (2011). Essential Guide to Criticism on Margaret Atwood Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wisker, G. (Ed.) (2010). Teaching African American Women's Writing. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wisker, G. (2010). Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale". A Reader's Guide.London: Continuum.
- Wisker, G. & Dodgson-Katiyo, P. (Eds.) (2009). Rites of Passage in Postcolonial Women's Writing. Amsterdam: Rodopi.
- Wisker, G. (2009). 'Devouring Desires: Lesbian Gothic Horror'. In W. Hughes & A. Smith (Eds.) Queering the Gothic. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Wisker, G. (2009). In F. Hammill, E. Miskimmin & A. Sponenberg (Eds.) Encyclopedia of British Women's Writing 1900-1950. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wisker, G. (2007). Key Concepts in Postcolonial Literature. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wisker, G. (2006). 'Behind Locked Doors: Angela Carter, Horror and the influence of Edgar Allan Poe'. In Becky Munford (Ed.) Re-visiting Angela Carter: Texts, Contexts, Intertexts. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Wisker, G. & Warner, D. (2006). Pearls. Cambridge: Calypso Press.
- Wisker, G. (2006). '"Your buried ghosts have a way of tripping you up": Revisioning and mothering in African American and Afro-Caribbean Women's Speculative Horror. Femspec, 6(1).
- Wisker, G. 'Paradise Revisited, Women's Writing from Fiji''. Fijian Studies: A Journal of Contemporary Fiji, 3(2).
- Wisker, G. (2005). Horror Fiction. New York: Continuum.
- Wisker, G. & Wisker, A. (2005). Mosaic: Visions of Cyprus. Cambridge: Calypso Press.
- Wisker, G (2010) Keynote Research conference Bishop Grosseteste university college
- Wisker G (2010) Balancing research – Guild HE conference , London.
- Kiley M., and Wisker G (2010) Liminal spaces and doctoral examining: evidence of research learning Quality Postgraduate research conference
- Gina Wisker and Gillian Robinson (2010) QPR conference Doctoral orphans: Nurturing and supporting the success of postgraduates who have lost their supervisors
- Barbara Grant, Liz McKinley, Catherine Manathunga, Michael Singh, Sally Knowles, Gina Wisker and Terry Evans (2010) QPR conference Supervision and cultural difference revisited: Imagining new doctoral pedagogies, divulging those already in action.
- Wisker, G. (2009). Keynote. Paper presented at the Postgraduate Supervision Conference. University of Stellenbosch South Africa.
- Kiley, M. & Wisker, G. (2008, 18-20 June). "Now you see it, now you don't": Identifying and supporting the achievement of doctoral work which embraces threshold concepts and crosses conceptual thresholds. Paper presented at the Threshold Concepts: From theory to practice conference, Queen's University, Kingston Ontario Canada.
- Wisker, G., Robinson, G., & Kiley, M. (2008). Crossing Liminal Spaces: Encouraging Postgraduate Students to Cross Conceptual Thresholds and Achieve Threshold Concepts in their Research. Paper presented at the conference Quality in Postgraduate Research: Research Education in the new Global Environment - Part 2. CEDAM, The Australian National University, Canberra.
- Wisker, G., Kiley, M. & Aiston, S. (2006). Making the learning leap: Research students crossing conceptual thresholds. In M. Kiley & G. Mullins (Eds), Quality in Postgraduate Research: Knowledge creation in testing times. Canberra: CEDAM, The Australian National University, pp. 195-201.
- Kiley, M. & Wisker, G. (2006, 12-14 December). Learning leaps and strides: When and in what ways do doctoral students cross conceptual thresholds and achieve threshold concepts?. Paper presented at the Beyond boundaries: New Horizons for Research into Higher Education conference, Brighton England.
- Wisker, G., Robinson, G., Trafford, V., Lilly, J., & Warnes, M. (2004). 'Achieving a Doctorate: Meta-learning and Research Development Programmes Supporting Success for International Distance students'. Paper presented at the Quality in Postgraduate Research: Re-imaging research education conference, Adelaide, Australia
Service to the higher education profession in publishing
Gina is the Chief editor for the SEDA journal Innovations in Education and Teaching International (IETI), and acts as a referee for Studies in Higher Education, Journal of Continuing Education, Assessment and Evaluation, Mosaic, COMPARE. Gina co edits Spokes poetry magazine (onine) and Dissections e- journal.
Creative writing and readings
Poetry published in: Ambit, Spokes, Femspec, Running on Empty, April Showers, Women’s Words. Travel writing in: Sunjet.
Femspec published Gina's short story ‘New Blood’ in 2006 and ‘ Recruitment’ in 2009 both of which won prizes in the Femspec best of 5 yrs categories.2011
Readings of both poetry and prose at The 26th International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts, March 2005, The 27th 2006., 28th 2007, 29th 2008, 30th 2009 and special invited short story reading to the Lord Ruthven society at the 31st conference 2010, 32nd conference 2011.
Readings at the world Horror convention Brighton 2010