**Please note that this event has been postponed**
Developing a Manifesto for University Departments of Education
Checkland Building, University of Brighton, Falmer
All welcome to attend our informal conference to discuss and develop a manifesto for the future of Schools of Education in Higher Education Institutions. What is the role of Schools of Education in the changing landscape of professional education?
Have you asked yourself the following questions:
- What are the distinctive strengths of HE education departments - or what might they be?
- Why should HE departments of education continue to have a leading role in professional education?
- What should be the relationships between universities and schools in the preparation of new teachers and in continuing professional development?
- Who should do educational research? Why? How?
- Are there dangers for a teaching profession, schools and young people if university departments of education wither away?
- What role should departments of education play in the wider university?
Speakers offering short introductions to the issues are:
Russell Hobby, NAHT
Professor Meg Maguire, Kings College, London
Nick Wergan, Deputy Headteacher, Blatchington Mill School, Hove
Dr Viv Ellis, Oxford University
Participants are also invited to offer short 10 minute inputs to raise issues for discussion and moving forward.
Book your place
If you would like to attend the day’s discussions, please send an email to Elizabeth Briggs (subject line of Developing a Manifest) with your name, organisation or institution and your contact details.
Phone 01273 644559
Submitting a proposal
If you would like to submit a proposal for short presentation or a poster, please include up to an abstract of up to 100 words and email it to Elizabeth Briggs using the email address above.