Education and Sport Faculty Office
Telephone: +44 (0)1273 643400
Paul has been Dean since 1996 and prior to that was the Head of the Faculty’s School of Education. His particular area of expertise is teacher education. He holds degrees from the University of London and Brunel University and is a qualified teacher. His teaching experience includes working in schools, a 6th form college, a college of higher education and polytechnics. In 1991 he joined the University of Brighton.
Paul has been associated with a number of major educational bodies in this country and overseas, including the Council for National Academic Awards and, more recently, the World Council for Technological Education and the Hong Kong Council for Academic Accreditation. He has been involved with numerous course validations in the UK and overseas and has acted as project consultant in a number of areas. He is currently an Auditor for the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA). Paul has also been an external examiner at over 20 colleges and Universities both in the UK and overseas.
In addition to University-wide roles, Paul's main areas of responsibility include:
- Strategic development of the academic work within the Faculty, including the balance of its activities;
- Overview for the arrangements within the Faculty for validation and quality assurance within agreed University policies and frameworks;
- To promote Cross-Faculty academic activity;
- To maintain an overview of the resourcing and financial management of the Faculty;
- To promote the continuous improvement of the quality of all aspects of the Faculty's work;
- Managerial responsibility for the Faculty's Heads of School, Faculty Officer and the Co-ordinator for the Centre for Learning and Teaching;