Brighton’s rich mix of historic architecture, lively arts scene, varied shopping and cosmopolitan community make it a vibrant, enjoyable place to live. It is no wonder that many Brighton graduates choose to stay here.
- Great gigs and music, from pub and club venues to the Brighton Dome and the Brighton Centre. Cafes, bars, clubs and restaurants – too numerous to mention and to suit all tastes.
- Shopping to suit everyone, from high street shops in Churchill Square to the quaint and designer shopping streets of the Lanes to the unique and vintage shops of the North Laine.
- Enjoy the surrounding area – as well as the beach and the sea there are also country walks and cycling across the South Downs.
- Lots of sport to watch and take part in. National teams include Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club, Sussex County Cricket, Brighton Blues Rugby Club, Brighton and Hove Hockey Club.
- Whether you are new to the area or you are already based here, make the most of your student discounts and free events. With numerous things to do and see all year round, make the city your campus.
Events throughout the year
Autumn / winter term
The Shakedown Festival brings big names to one of the last major festivals in the UK music calendar. In contrast there is the Brighton Early Music Festival, one of the key classical music events in the south-east, and the Brighton Festival of World Sacred Music which brings together people of all beliefs and cultures.
Brighton Comedy Festival runs during October and brings 50 of the finest stand up comedians to various venues around Brighton. Go to the dark side with Beach of the Dead, Brighton's world-renowned zombie walk. Burning the Clocks is a unique community event to mark the shortest day.
For Bonfire Night, there is the Brighton Lions firework night, and just outside Brighton are the Lewes Bonfire Celebrations, the biggest celebrated 5 November event in the world. At Christmas, enjoy the Royal Pavilion ice rink and Artists Open Houses at Christmas.
Spread your love of books and ideas with City Reads, Brighton's annual reading festival. We are a partner of CineCity, the Brighton film festival. There is also Colour Out of Space, the experimental sound and art festival and MADE, a design and craft fair.
Celebrate all things veggie and vegan with a free two-day extravaganza at VegFestUK. Other food and drink highlights include the Brighton & Hove Food and Drink Festival and the Brighton Chocolate Festival. Mmm yum!
The Brighton Festival is now the largest arts festival in England, and is one of the major milestones in the international cultural calendar. The Brighton Fringe is one of the largest fringe festivals in the world. Brighton is well known for its London to Brighton bike ride. Other fun runs in the summer include the Ace Cafe Reunion, London to Brighton Mini Run, the Historic Commercial Vehicle Rally and the 2CV Rally.
The Great Escape has been firmly established internationally as the leading event for showcasing new music. Over 300 bands playing 30 venues across the city over three days. The Alternative Escape, numerous club nights, label parties, industry showcases and outdoor gigs all add to the fun. Brighton Pride promotes equality and diversity and advances education to eliminate discrimination against the LGBT community. It is a great showcase for the city and is one of the biggest events of the year with a parade through town followed by a party in the park.
Paddle Round The Pier is the world's biggest free beach and watersports festival and features the best in water, street and urban sports. For kite lovers, the Brighton Kite Festival, one of the longest running free kite festivals in the UK. The Brighton August Festival is the highlight of the racing calendar at Brighton Racecourse. Brighton Digital Festival is a monthlong celebration of all things digital, bringing together the city's vibrant arts and digital communities.
Brighton Art Fair is the largest art exhibition on the south coast and brings together about 130 of the most talented artists. Brighton Fashion Week is now a serious player in the fashion world and a rare chance to see highend fashion shown outside London.