Skip to content
Prospective students at the University of Brighton

Care leavers

Care leavers undergraduate study

If you are a care leaver and are studying a full-time undergraduate course at the University of Brighton, additional support is available to help you through your time at university.

We want you to get the best out of your course and university experience.

Who is entitled to get extra help?

Each application from a care leaver is considered individually, but to be eligible for additional help you usually need to be under the age of 25 and have been in local authority care for three months or more since the age of 14.

University of Brighton care leaver's bursary

This bursary is available in year two and subsequent years of full-time undergraduate study. It is worth £1,000 a year. Students who are eligible for the University of Brighton care leaver's bursary can opt to receive payment in cash and / or discounts for university services, including accommodation. University of Brighton bursaries do not need to be repaid. This bursary is offered through the National Scholarship scheme. Find out more about the University of Brighton's care leaver's bursary.

Guaranteed accommodation

You will be guaranteed accommodation for the whole of your first year of study including Christmas, Easter and summer holidays (providing that you apply by the deadlines). We will also help you to find private accommodation in the local area at the end of your first year. Find out more about accommodation.

Personal support and guidance

You will have a personal student support and guidance tutor, based in your school, that you can go and see if and when you need to.

How to apply

You need to put on your UCAS form that you have been in local authority care. After you have done this and submitted your form, there will be a number of steps that your application will go through to make sure that you receive the advice and support that you need.

Once you have confirmed your firm acceptance at the University of Brighton we will write to you again with more information and a short questionnaire so we can find out if you are eligible for additional support. If you are eligible and confirm that you want this additional support your details will be passed (with your permission) to staff members who will assess any support needs and help with queries you may have.

The university will consider applications from care leavers on an individual basis. The level of offer may be based on individual circumstances and an assessment of your potential to succeed on the degree course. Applicants must apply by UCAS deadlines. Late applicants will receive favourable considerations if vacancies still exist.

Find out more general information about applying to university.

Frank Buttle Trust Quality Mark

The University of Brighton is proud to have received the Frank Buttle Trust Quality Mark for our commitment to helping care leavers through university.

Find out more

If you would like more information please contact our care leavers coordinator Michelle Tarling: 01273 641998 or

If you are a Hastings-based student who has been in local authority care please contact student support and guidance advisor Lorraine Roberts: 01273 644636 or

Frank Buttle Trust Quality Mark