Physical Education and Dance
The Physical Education and Dance Area staff possess a wide range of subject knowledge, professional experience, and research expertise in physical education, dance, and professional matters relating to secondary school teaching and mentoring.
Details of staff's research and professional experience can be seen in the Physical Education and Dance Area's Research page and in the staff CV page. Please use this information to contact staff most appropriate for your enquiry. If you are unsure who to contact, please send your message to the Area leader, Dr. Richard Royce.
Examples of current and recent consultancy from staff within the Area include the contributions of Jim Wallis who is currently working in sport psychology with a number of elite junior athletes from a range of sports, including work for the British Triathlon Association. He is also assisting in the delivery of sport psychology on talented athlete programmes for a number of Sports Colleges. Sid Hayes completed a DfES collaborative research project looking into differentiation in Physical Education in 2001. In 2002 he finalised a Sussex Skills Council project researching into leisure provision in the county.
The Area is also involved as a consultative body for the subject specific work of sports colleges in the region which are conducting evaluation research sponsored by the Youth Sport Trust. The Area offers consultancy to them on a range of matters including
- research design and methodology, especially concerning qualitative methods, action research, and ethical issues;
- teaching and learning strategies;
- spiritual, moral, social and cultural development;
- curriculum design;
- inclusion-gifted and disaffected pupils, gender issues, participation and attitudes;
- 14-19 accreditation-course delivery and evaluation;
- psychologically-based research in areas such as participation of performance- based, elite athlete programmes;
- interactionist perspectives and role expectations within institutional parameters.
The contact for this YST consultancy is Dr Gill Lines on 01273643708, and at email@example.com