A work placement can give you an edge with future employers. Having this experience will help you to stand out when you graduate.
Work placements – the benefits
Work placements offer you the opportunity to:
- build knowledge of real-world businesses and organisations
- develop existing skills and discover new ones while expanding your network of contacts in industry and commerce
- increase your confidence, many students return from placement to find that they have developed a sense of maturity and a fresh perspective with which to enter their final year
- strengthened the knowledge gained from your studies by applying it to real-world situations
- improve your time-management, attention to detail and gain a flying start to your final-year dissertation.
Support to find and complete a placement
Work placements are available to students on all of our undergraduate courses. Undertaken after your second year, work placements give you the opportunity to spend a year of your studies in full-time paid employment with one of the leading and respected companies that choose to advertise their placement opportunities with the University of Brighton.
To help you find your placement you will receive the full support of our dedicated Placements Office who provide advice on writing CVs, making applications and attending interviews and ongoing support from academic placement tutors. Alternatively, we are happy for you to source your own placement opportunities and will work with you to validate to ensure they meet the necessary requirements.
Students who undertake a placement year go on to obtain a 'degree with Sandwich' classification which indicates to employers that they have successfully completed a placement year. From 2012 fees for the placement year will be £750. During the year you will have the continued support of the Placements Office and your academic tutor who will visit you twice in your place of work.
Students produce a reflective diary during their placement year, and on their return make a presentation about their placement to students who are considering completing a placement next year. Some of our students have excelled on placement and have subsequently been offered a permanent job with the same employer on graduation.
Find out more
For more information please contact the Faculty of Science and Engineering Placements Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01273 642464 / 642718 / 642593.