Chevening international scholarships
Chevening scholarships are awarded by the UK government to students from outside the UK and EU. They are for talented people who have been identified as potential future leaders across a wide range of fields including politics, business, the media, civil society, religion and academia. Most scholars undertake a one year master’s degree.
The programme is mainly funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, with some contributions from Higher Education Institutions and other partners in the UK.
These scholarships are for high-calibre graduates with the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership. Applicants should be :
- Motivated to make a career that will take them to positions of leadership in their own country within ten years of their scholarship
- Able to use their studies and experience in the UK to benefit themselves, their countries and the UK
- Natural influencers and talented communicators, with energy and ambition
- People who value networking and who can demonstrate the value of networks to their studies, and to bringing about change on a global level
- Intelligent, with demonstrable academic potential
- Strong characters with integrity, drive, and the ability to self manage and work independently
To be eligible to apply you must:
- have good English language skills at the level required by postgraduate courses (Check what IELTS score or equivalent you need)
- meet the academic requirements for your course of study.
- UK or EU nationals
- Employees of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (including British Embassies and High Commissions), the British Council, a co-sponsor or sponsoring UK university, or their relatives, or former employee who left such employment within the past two years.
- People who have already received financial benefit from an HMG (Her Majesty's Government) funded award.
Find out more
You can find out more about Chevening scholarships on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.