What is the Civil Service?
The Civil Service employs over 420,000 people from across the UK. There are a wide range of roles and opportunities within departments, agencies or public bodies including:
- Diplomatic Service
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO)
- Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ)
- Government Economic Service (GES)
- Government Legal Service (GLS)
- Government Operational Research Service (GORS)
- Government Social Research (GSR)
- Government Statistical Service (GSS)
- HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)
- HM Treasury
- Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), MI6
- Security Service, MI5.
Jobs and employers
Apply to join the Civil Service
A summary of links to all the Civil Service entry routes. Including current vacancies, placements and internships.
Civil Service Fast Stream
Four-year leadership development programme that provides the main graduate entry route into the service.
A free policy resource used by public servants, practitioners and academics to find and share case studies, opinion and analysis about government innovation globally.
An overview of the agencies and their activities.
World Customs Organisation
An independent body representing 181 customs administrations worldwide.
The Electronic Immigration Network
Specialist provider of information on immigration and refugee law.
Regulatory body which oversees provision of immigration advice.