Information, advice and support
- UKCISA advice line (0207 788 9214) can provide advice for international students and graduates. Open Monday-Friday, 1-4pm (UK time). The advice line is often very busy - we recommend finding information on the UKCISA website or contacting the Careers Service in the first instance.
- Use our visa enquiry form if you are an international student with questions about your visa.
“Most graduate employers embrace equal opportunities and diversity in the workplace. They recognise that employees from different backgrounds bring unique knowledge, skills and experience to their businesses.
If you are concerned you might be at a disadvantage, how do you ensure recruiters give you the best chance to show your abilities and treat you fairly in the recruitment process? Specialists from AGCAS provide their advice on how to identify diversity-positive employers, decide how and whether to disclose your circumstances, and get an understanding of your rights.”
Diversity Matters is a collection of resources from AGCAS (Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services). It offers information and advice to people potentially affected by issues relating to:
- Political and ethical issues
- Refugees and asylum seekers
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation*
- Social and class issues
- Transsexual/transgender issues
* See also Stonewall's Starting Out - LGBT Careers Guide featuring employers who have made a commitment to LGBT equality and are engaging with them to improve the working lives of LGBT staff.
TargetJobs - International students has information on seeking work outside the UK, getting work experience, job hunting in the UK, and visas and work permits to work in the UK.
UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) has information on the following issues:
Unfortunately, in certain industries, unpaid internships are still the norm. The legal debate around this is ongoing.