Creating your brand
Researching career options will help you identify what employers in your field will find attractive.
Thinking about yourself as a brand will help you to focus on your main strengths and communicate these clearly. It can also ensure you are communicating consistently; whether in applications and interviews, or via your online presence.
What is distinctive about you?
- Reflect on your skills and experience
- Identify areas for improvement
- Keep a journal of your development
- Sell your skills and experience to an employer.
Using social media professionally
Keep the professional and personal separate, eg a LinkedIn account for professional use and Facebook for personal use.
Many recruiters will search for you, and professionals in your field will look to connect with you. Make sure that what they see shows you in a positive light at all times.
- LinkedIn Help Centre has tips on everything from setting up a profile to job searching, networking and sharing your professional expertise.
- Jobs.ac.uk has assignments in HE, public, not-for-profit and private sectors. Connect and collaborate with thousands of researchers worldwide.
The suggestions above will help you to build your awareness of careers related to your field of study, and to clarify what you have to offer employers and what they can offer you.
You will need to think about how to demonstrate and market how your postgraduate study enhances your appeal to potential employers.