Check that there are smoke detectors in the property and test them regularly. The best kind is wired into the mains electricity, but battery-operated is preferable to none.
If there are fire blankets and fire extinguishers in the property, check that they are in date and haven’t been used.
A carbon monoxide detector is essential to alert you to the possible presence of carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas and is virtually undetectable without technology.
If you found your accommodation through Studenthomes, there should be fire alarms, a fire blanket and carbon monoxide detector present. If not, let us know immediately.
Make sure that all the furniture in the property is fire resistant – check the labels on sofas, mattresses and other fabric or foam items.