Cleaning your house
Deposits are often withheld because the property has not been adequately cleaned. It's important to make sure you:
- clean the cooker – including the oven and grill
- dust skirting boards and door frames
- clean all kitchen and bathroom surfaces
- wash all hard floors and vacuum all carpets
- remove all food from the fridge and freezer and defrost them, leaving them unplugged with the doors open
- clear all rubbish from the gardens
- clean the windows if safe to do so or hire a professional window cleaner.
Check your tenancy agreement to make sure you have fulfilled all the requirements. For example, some agencies may require windows and carpets to be professionally cleaned and for you to provide receipts.
Disposing of rubbish
When cleaning out your house, some of your waste should go to landfill and some to recycling.
Information about collection days for your area and what can and can’t be recycled can be found on your local council’s website:
Make sure you follow the councils’ guidelines about rubbish collection. Rubbish left out can attract wildlife.