The School of Education is not funded to pay trainees' travel expenses but will, while funding allows, make a contribution to additional travel costs incurred while on school-based training.
Both the university and the trainee make a contribution to expenses incurred. Trainees must pay the first £3.00 (or more, depending on the distance between your term-time address and the university).
Claim forms are available outside the Partnership Office, Room A308, Checkland Building, Falmer campus.
School Experience Advance
To help with the advance purchase of season tickets or high car/motorcycle mileage (minimum £60):
- This must be submitted no later than three weeks after the start of your school-based training. Otherwise, you can only make a retrospective claim.
- 75% of your claim will be paid on submission of this advance; the remaining 25% is paid on submission of a School Experience Claim at the end of your school-based training, with verification of attendance and tickets where public transport is used.
- If you do not submit a Placement Experience Claim at the end of your school-based training you will be required to repay the advance.
School Experience Claim
One claim at the end of your school-based training. All claims must be submitted by 31 July 2017.
Please allow enough time for your school to confirm the number of days you attended your school-based training.
If you travelled by public transport, you must submit all tickets (or receipts) with your claim, as journeys without receipts cannot be reimbursed. Please group journeys on the form itself and associated tickets into daily/weekly/monthly for speedier processing.
You must obtain the cheapest ticket(s) for your journey. Monthly/ weekly tickets are often cheaper even if you are only in school for three days a week. Please check before you travel. There is a special Unizone ticket for trainee rail travel among stations between East Worthing and Eastbourne.
Those driving to their school-based training can claim 16p per mile. Those who are able to offer a lift to another trainee can claim 20p per mile for the first passenger, 22p per mile can be claimed for 2 or passengers, or 24p per mile for 3 passengers. Ensure that you note the name and address of your passenger on the form. Only the driver may claim for travel expenses.
We do not cover vehicle fuel and maintenance costs and cannot accept petrol receipts, odometer readings or repair bills.
We cannot cover taxi expenses.
Frequently asked questions
How do I project my costs as a driver?
Using the AA Routeplanner, calculate the actual mileage from your term time address to the school. As this is a one-way journey, you will need to double it for your daily mileage. Depending on whether or not you have passenger/s, you multiply the mileage by the mileage rate to get a daily rate. Then multiply the daily rate by the number of days on school-based training.
It doesn't cost me anything to get to the university so why must I deduct this from my claim?
The university is subject to strict regulations regarding the use of public funding. Both the university and the trainee make a contribution to expenses incurred. Trainees must pay the first £3.00 (or more depending on the distance between your term-time address and the university.)
How and when will I receive my money?
Your money will be transferred directly to your account by our finance department. You will receive written confirmation of this by email. You should allow 4-6 weeks for this, especially in the busy period following the end of your school-based training.
Can I claim for any other visits to school other than my ‘main’ school experience?
No, we are unfortunately unable to cover these costs.
Trainees using their own vehicles to transport themselves and fellow trainees on university business, must ensure that the vehicle is appropriately insured, taxed and has a valid MOT certificate.
The Partnership Office reserves the right to withhold payment to any trainee who claims travel by car if they did not disclose they had a car on their School Experience Placement Request forms.