The resource was developed around five themes:
- Feelings – The right to have our own thoughts and ideas. The right to make up our own minds and to share our ideas with others. The right to be treated fairly.
- Bodies - The right not to be hurt. The right to feel safe and be free.
- Relationships and Belonging – The right to meet our friends. The right to choose to join in or not. The right to belong.
- Wellbeing – The right to be looked after. The right to enjoyment. The right to rest and relax. The right to peace.
- Choice and Voice – The right to believe what we want to believe and the right to express this. The right to participate.
Each theme is based on four articles and has three main activities and an extension activity. The CD that accompanies the pack contains resources that will be needed for some of the activities.
The resource contains links to all the early years curricula frameworks in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
Launched in 2017 and distributed to early years settings in the UK, the hope is that this resource will spark creative and interesting discussions with children and communicate rights and responsibilities in an accessible and inspiring way.