This unit is designed specifically for MPhil students preparing to apply for transfer to PhD and aims to help them prepare their transfer document and defend it at the transfer meeting.
The core skills addressed in this unit will include writing and chapter preparation, presentation skills and engagement with the wider academic community, the identification of new knowledge and what it means to make an original contribution to knowledge, and a review of research planning. The unit will comprise one workshop.
The workshop will consider:
- The aims and outcomes of the transfer.
- The value of the transfer.
- The timing of the transfer.
- What the transfer means to the student.
- What it means to the supervisor.
And will provide a range of examples of transfer documentation from across the doctoral college.