Our Summer School programme offers students the chance to experience what it's like studying a subject they love at university. Students will learn in an academic environment, working with students from other schools, current university undergraduates, postgraduates, and academic staff.
The programmes typically include lectures, seminars, practical activities, careers information, study skills and if residential a variety of fun social events each evening.
Alongside experiencing the summer school, students are also linked with an e-mentor who can offer university advice and guidance before and after the summer school.
All meals are provided and students who may require financial support for travel can apply to have the costs of their travel reimbursed. Parents, carers and families are warmly welcomed to join us for the beginning and end of all summer schools.
Applications are only open to students currently in Year 12 and taking related A-Levels or BTEC qualifications.
As summer schools are part of our widening participation programme, preference is given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Looked After Children and Young Carers
- Students in receipt of Pupil Premium/Free School Meals/16-19 Bursary
- Disabled students (includes learning disabilities)
- Those who are the first in their family to consider university
- Those who live in an area with low progression to university
- Estranged / studying without the support of a family network
This video of a previous Sports Summer School gives an idea of what one of our summer schools is like.
The deadline for applications is 30 April, 2018.