About this bursary
This bursary is for students resident in England, under the age of 25, who have been in the care of, or have been given accommodation by, their local authority for a period of at least 13 weeks before the age of 16. This bursary is for students starting their course in the 2019–20 academic year.
The award is a cash bursary of £1,000 for each year of study.
Students on part-time courses who meet the above criteria will receive a pro rata cash bursary. Additional criteria apply in relation to study intensity of part-time courses.
The care leaver's bursary will be paid in two instalments: the first at the beginning of term and the second in May.
You are eligible for a care leaver's bursary if you:
- are under the age of 25
- have been in the care of, or been given accommodation by, your local authority for period of at least 13 weeks before the age of 16
- have not reconciled with your parents between leaving care and starting your course
- are studying on an eligible course starting in 2019
- are normally resident in England
- have been assessed by Student Finance England as eligible to receive the full student loans finance package
- have an annual household income of up to £25,000.
Students in receipt of certain other bursaries or awards may not be eligible.
How to apply
When you complete your UCAS application form, make sure you that you indicate that you have been in local authority care.
Once you have been offered a place at the University of Brighton, we will send you an eligibility questionnaire to complete. The information you provide us is treated in confidence.
Our Widening Participation team is here to answer your questions.
Tel 01273 641043