About this bursary
This bursary is for students starting the academic year 2019–20, who are not care leavers, but who are under 25 and permanently out of contact with their parent(s). Students must also be normally resident in England and have been assessed as eligible to receive full funding from Student Finance England.
The award is a cash bursary of £1,000 in each year of study.
You do not need to repay this bursary.
Students on part-time courses who meet the eligibility criteria will receive a pro rata bursary. Additional criteria apply in relation to study intensity of part-time courses.
The estranged student bursary will be paid in two instalments: the first at the beginning of term and the second in May.
Eligibility and application
Who is eligible?
You are eligible for the estranged student bursary if you:
- are studying full-time or part-time undergraduate course
- are aged 25 years or under
- are permanently out of contact with your parent(s)
- are normally resident in England and have been assessed as eligible to receive full funding from Student Finance England
- are starting their course in September 2019.
Your eligibility for this bursary will be re-assessed each academic year.
How to apply
We will email you in the autumn to confirm whether you will receive this bursary for the academic year.