About the course
This course aims to prepare you for adopting a mastery approach by developing a deeper understanding of the teaching and learning of calculation and fractions. The National Curriculum aims of fluency, reasoning and problem-solving and their role in the teaching and learning of calculation and fractions are explored.
This course is suitable for all teachers in KS1 and KS2.
The aims of the course are:
- Develop a deep subject knowledge of mathematics and KS1 and KS2.
- Explore the mastery approach to teaching, with a particular focus on effective differentiation.
- Explore a wide range of effective pedagogies for mathematics teaching and mastery.
- deepen an understanding of the learning of calculation and fractions
- develop an understanding of effective teaching of calculation and fractions
- understand the role of the aims of the national curriculum (fluency, reasoning and problem-solving) in the learning of mathematics
- explore the mastery approach to teaching, with a particular focus on effective differentiation.
This is a three day course and runs on the following dates:
- Day 1: Tuesday 27 February 2018
- Day 2: Tuesday 6 March 2018
- Day 3: Tuesday 13 March 2018
Addition and subtraction
As well as familiarising ourselves with the overall structure and objectives of the course, we will focus on exploring and analysing the learning of addition and subtraction across the primary range, and the key prerequisite learning – such as place value.
Throughout of the day we will unpick progression in these key ideas and tailor our discussions to the needs of the group.
We will encourage you to explore a wide range of practical approaches, activities and investigations, and discuss these in depth. The intention will be for you to leave with a large number of ideas to try out in the classroom, but also – and crucially – the understanding and energy to devise your own.
Come prepared to get stuck in!
We will supply some take-away tasks for you to complete before Day 2 of the course.
Multiplication and division
The second day of the course will focus on exploring and analysing multiplication and division, identifying key concepts. Throughout we will focus on how children’s understanding can be fostered and developed using concrete mathematical representations.
We will also explore a range of widely applicable activities with a focus on reasoning and the development of deep conceptual understanding.
We will supply some take-away tasks for you to complete before Day 3 of the course.
Fractions and decimals
The final day of the course will explore the teaching and learning of fractions, decimals and percentages. We will focus in more depth on facilitating children’s development of a deep conceptual understanding in an engaging way.
We will conclude with a critical discussion of the key themes of the course and provide an opportunity for delegates to share their own activities, approaches and ideas.
Book your place
Dates: Tuesday 27 February, Tuesday 6 March and Tuesday 13 March 2018
Times: 9.30am – 3.30pm
Location: University of Brighton, Checkland Building, Falmer
Cost: £250 (3 full days)
If you have an enquiry about this course please contact Richard Harvey-Swanston email@example.com.