The entry requirements listed here are our typical offer for this course for students planning to start their course in 2014, and should be used as a general guide. We operate a flexible admissions policy - this means that different applicants may be made higher or lower offers for the same course, depending on their other achievements.
Degree and/or experience
- A good honours degree or equivalent, directly relevant to subject specialism.
- Minimum grade C in English language and mathematics. In-house equivalence tests are available for suitable candidates.
Professional Skills Tests
The Department for Education has introduced Professional Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy for all applicants to teacher training (QTS) routes. These tests are compulsory, and it will not be possible to enter training without having successfully completed them. Candidates are able to book these tests in advance, and the Department for Education strongly advises you to take the tests soon after you have submitted an application.
The University of Brighton recognises that these tests may present a real challenge to some candidates and we recommend that you prepare carefully before attempting them, as you are limited to only three attempts per test. We recommend that postgraduate applicants have passed the tests before they come to an interview as this will give you a clear advantage. However, if you have not yet passed the tests but have a clear strategy in place, we may well be prepared to consider your capacity to pass and potentially make you an offer of a place subject to their successful completion. When we make such an offer you will be given a clear deadline, usually within two months of your interview, so we advise that you plan ahead and book your tests well in advance.
Details about the tests, including how to register and prepare for the tests, can be found here. Further resources to help you prepare for the numeracy test can be found in the 'Course in detail' section below.
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate recent and relevant experience of children in secondary schools and understanding of what it is to be a teacher.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview in person either at the Falmer campus or in one of our partner schools.
- All offers of places are subject to a satisfactory health check and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check.
For non-native speakers of English
IELTS 7.0 in all elements.