A welcome to the Centre for Precision Health and Translational Medicine from the director, Professor Rameen Shakur.
Our researchers are dedicated to the development of medicine and healthcare that optimises benefits for individual patients. Our most potent science for this is through genetic or molecular profiling, known as precision medicine.
The mission of the centre is to drive multi-disciplinary research in precision medicine to enable translational studies for the next generation of personalised treatment. To this end, our researchers bring expertise in interdisciplinary scientific and clinical research.
The centre seeks a broad and powerful collaborative reach. Through this, medical practitioners can interact with academic researchers to allow the cross-fertilisation of ideas and the development of novel and interdisciplinary health research projects. Bringing experts together in this way provides the opportunity to develop novel strategies in the treatment of disease. In turn, this is coupled with direct introductions for novel drugs and device therapies for patients as part of defined clinical trials instigated with the NHS and our clinical partners.
Our research focuses on every stage from drug discovery through to clinical delivery; from bench to bedside. We incorporate feedback from patients and their families to drive innovation. The cycle of discovery, delivery and patient-led development ensures we can deliver continual improvements and real-world translational impact.
Our objectives are to:
- Investigate the pathophysiology of human disease
- Identify potential therapeutic targets from drug discovery studies and then design and develop robust and partnered clinical studies
- Promote interdisciplinary research groups with patient outcomes and therapeutic benefits as our focus to enable efficient ‘bench to bedside’ translation
- Establish platform-based technologies to enable the clinical efficacy of novel therapeutic approaches
- Train and develop the next generation of researchers keen to study the biological sciences and application of precision medicine for patient benefit
- Stimulate public private collaborations to accelerate a start-up culture in the biotechnology and precision medicine sector within the region.
Please do make contact with the centre to discover more about our research, our facilities and how we can share our healthcare goals with academic and industry providers.