We offer all eligible first year students university-managed or university-arranged accommodation in either Brighton or Eastbourne.
We review our accommodation allocation policy and eligibility criteria annually, details for 2018 will be confirmed in the New Year. Accommodation applications open on 1 March 2018.
The key eligibility criteria for UK and EU students are:
- apply through UCAS by 15 January
- make Brighton your firm choice
- apply for university accommodation by the deadline we tell you about
- live in an eligible postcode area – eligible postcodes are reviewed each year
Details for 2018 will be confirmed on this page before accommodation applications open.
Guaranteed offers of university-managed accommodation
Some kinds of students are guaranteed an offer of university-managed accommodation – in either halls or a unihome. These include students who:
- are under 18 on 1 September 2018
- have spent time in Local Authority care
- are classified as International or Overseas for tuition fee purposes
- are studying at Brighton and Sussex Medical School.
Living at home
In 2017 students living in East and West Sussex postcodes were not eligible for an offer of university-managed or arranged accommodation at the start of the academic year. A number of our students chose to live at home, or outside Brighton or Eastbourne and commute.
Unizone discounted rail travel is available on the coastal line between Chichester and Eastbourne and the Brighton and Hove Bus Company covers network extends beyond the city to Shoreham, Eastbourne, Lewes, Uckfied and also offers good student discounts.
Other factors influencing eligibility
Even if you believe you don’t meet the standard eligibility criteria your accommodation application can still considered on an individual basis. Reasons for individual consideration include:
- being estranged from your family and studying without family support
- having a medical condition or disability
These factors can also determine the kind of accommodation we offer you. Get in touch with us for advice.
Please note that we reserve the right to offer Brighton-based students university-managed accommodation in Eastbourne.