About the Big Build project
The Big Build is the name our students have given to the project that will transform our Moulsecoomb campus between summer 2018 and summer 2021.
The campus project is part of a bigger masterplan that includes the neighbouring Preston Barracks site. Together they will create a new gateway into the city and transform the local area to the benefit of all who live, work and learn here.
The Big Build consists of:
- Five new halls of residence with rooms for 800 students at affordable rents
- A new academic building with flexible modern learning and social spaces
- New Students' Union with social spaces and fitness facilities
- A new multi-storey car park to replace existing parking facilities
- A landmark new pedestrian bridge bringing both sides of the campus together
All of the buildings have been designed and will be constructed to the highest environmental and sustainability standards.
Once fully completed the campus will benefit from new green spaces incorporating over 300 additional trees, much improved facilities for pedestrians and cyclists and links to public transport.
As well as creating an inspiring environment for students and staff at the university the development will create jobs and bring wider economic benefits to the city and breathe new life to the local area.
Work will begin in June 2018, with work expected to be completed by the summer of 2021.