Knowledge Transfer Partnerships enable companies to access the resources and expertise they need to innovate and grow.
The latest statistics from Innovate UK show that, on average, the KTP business benefits are:
- £113k one-off increase in net profit during the programme
- projected increase of over £1 million in annual profits before tax
- the creation of two new jobs
- increase in skills of existing staff.
Company contributions vary from 33 to 50% of the total project cost and companies can apply for R&D tax relief.
Find out more about the types of projects we have run. If you have a question, please see our FAQs or contact our team.
This unique opportunity allows a graduate to be based in a company whilst tapping into the expertise and support of the university, to deliver a strategic project that embeds knowledge within the company.
We have been recruiting graduates for innovative companies for over 40 years.
Graduates benefits from:
- a dedicated training budget of £2,000 per annum
- mentoring from the company and an academic team
- the opportunity to gain a professional qualification and/or higher degree at the same time as working
- the potential to gain a permanent job with an innovative company (approximately 78% of graduates are offered employment at the end of a KTP)
- responsibility from day one - to boost their professional development and skills through leading and delivering a high profile project.
You can watch a KTP Associate video on our graduate page, read an Associate profile or find our latest KTPs with the University of Brighton on our vacancies page, or see the national KTP website for vacancies across the UK.
Involvement in a Knowledge Transfer Partnership allows academics to apply their knowledge to a collaborative business project.
Academic benefits from:
- an insight into business requirements/operations and the opportunity to develop business-relevant teaching materials
- the opportunity to generate evidence and impact for the Research Excellence Framework (REF)
- initiating new student projects (on average over two student projects are initiated by each KTP project)
- the opportunity to publish research papers demonstrating research impact in a real world environment (on average over four publications are generated from each KTP project)
- supervise a high quality graduate, who may register for a higher degree.
At least one academic will have been nominated to supervise the Associate and form part of the team that will deliver the project.
The academics have the expertise to guide and advise the Associate when required.
KTP and the Research Excellence Framework (REF)
- Income from KTP is measurable research income under the REF
- Research, case studies and outcomes from KTP form an integral part of the university's REF impact statements
- KTP Associates who register for higher degrees during the KTP are measurable under the REF.
We're always looking to work with new academics, so if you're interested in KTP, please contact us to find out more.