The Centre for Sport and Exercise Science and Medicine (SESAME) is led by Dr Neil Maxwell with the remit of creating a vibrant and successful research centre that conducts innovative, applied research to tackle modern day challenges in sport, health and occupational settings.
Future research activity will build upon our existing reputation for internationally-recognised research, supported by a dynamic and experienced team of researchers and modern, well-resourced laboratories. Our research activity sits within two overarching research areas:
- Exercise for health and wellbeing
- Optimising human performance.
Underpinning our mission and priorities are four core principles:
- high-quality research
- excellent training and learning opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students and early-career researchers
- working with stakeholders beyond our research centre and university
- translation of research theory and evidence into practical settings.