About this bursary
This bursary is for students resident in England, under the age of 25, who have been in the care of, or have been given accommodation by, their local authority for a period of at least 13 weeks since the age of 14 and were in care on or after your 16th birthday.
Students who are under a Special Guardianship Order or in supported housing including Foyer accommodation are also eligible. This bursary is for eligible students starting their course at the University of Brighton in academic year 2021-22.
The award is a cash bursary of £1,000 for each year of study.
Students on part-time courses studying between 30 and 90 credits during the year who meet the other criteria will receive a pro rata cash bursary in each year of study.
The care leaver's bursary will be paid in two instalments: the first at the start of the autumn 2021 term and the second in May 2022.
Eligibility details for 2021–22 to be confirmed.
You are eligible for a care leaver's bursary if you:
- are starting an eligible course in academic year 2021-2022
- are under the age of 25
- have been in the care of, or been given accommodation by, your local authority for a period of at least 13 weeks since the age of 14 and were in care on or after your 16th birthday
- students who are under a Special Guardianship Order or in supported housing including Foyer accommodation are also eligible
- are normally resident in England
- have been assessed by Student Finance England as eligible to receive the full package of tuition fee loan and maintenance loan
- have a residual annual household income of up to £25,000
- are studying a full-time course
- part-time students who meet the other criteria will be eligible for a pro rata bursary if their study diet is between 30 and 90 credits.
Your eligibility for this bursary will be re-assessed each academic year.
Students in receipt of certain other bursaries or awards may not be eligible.
How to apply
When you complete your UCAS application form, make sure you that you indicate that you have been in local authority care.
Once you have been offered a place at the University of Brighton, we will send you an eligibility questionnaire to complete. The information you provide us is treated in confidence.
We will email you in the autumn to confirm whether you will receive this bursary for the academic year.
Our Outreach team is here to answer your questions.
Amy Adams on 07792 396266
Or email the team on email@example.com.