About this bursary
This bursary is for eligible students starting their course at the University of Brighton in academic year 2022–23, who are not care leavers, but who are under 25 and permanently out of contact with their parent(s).
The award is a cash bursary of £1,000 in each year of study.
You do not need to repay this bursary.
Part-time students with a study diet of between 30 and 90 credits this year, who meet the eligibility criteria, will receive a pro rata cash bursary.
The estranged student bursary will be paid in two instalments: we will pay the first instalment as soon as we have verified your status and the second instalment will be paid in May 2023.
Eligibility and application
Who is eligible?
You are eligible for the estranged student bursary if you:
- are starting an eligible course in academic year 2022-23
- are under 25
- have not been in care but are permanently out of contact with their parent(s)
- studying an undergraduate course or non-salaried designated PGCE or designated pre-registration postgraduate health sciences course
- have been assessed by Student Finance England as eligible to receive the full package of tuition fee and maintenance loans
- be a UK national or Irish citizen or have settled status (no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK)
- have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 continuous years before the first day of your course
- are normally resident in England
- studying full-time
- part-time student who have a study diet of between 30 and 90 credits and meet the other eligibility criteria will receive a pro rata bursary.
Your eligibility for this bursary will be re-assessed each academic year.
- Students in receipt of other bursaries or awards may not be eligible.
How to apply
You will need to be assessed as an estranged student by Student Finance England in order to receive this bursary.
Please ask Student Finance England to provide you with a letter which confirms your assessment status and email a copy of this document to the Student Advice team. Once we have received this information, we will contact you to confirm the bursary.
We will email you by the end of November to confirm whether you will receive this bursary for the academic year.
Please email Student Advice if you need any help with this.