About this bursary
This bursary is for eligible students starting their course at the University of Brighton in academic year 2021–22, who are not care leavers, but who are under 25 and permanently out of contact with their parent(s).
The award is a cash bursary of £1,000 in each year of study.
You do not need to repay this bursary.
Part-time students with a study diet of between 30 and 90 credits this year, who meet the eligibility criteria, will receive a pro rata cash bursary.
The estranged student bursary will be paid in two instalments: the first instalment will be paid at the start of the 2021 academic year and the second in May 2022.
Eligibility and application
Eligibility details for 2021–22 to be confirmed.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible for the estranged student bursary if you:
- are starting an eligible course in academic year 2021-22
- are under 25
- have not been in care but are permanently out of contact with their parent(s)
- studying an undergraduate course
- have been assessed by Student Finance England as eligible to receive the full package of tuition fee and maintenance loans are normally resident in England
- are normally resident in England
- studying full-time
- part-time student who have a study diet of between 30 and 90 credits and meet the other eligibility criteria will receive a pro rata bursary.
Your eligibility for this bursary will be re-assessed each academic year.
- Students in receipt of other bursaries or awards may not be eligible.
How to apply
We will email you in the autumn to confirm whether you will receive this bursary for the academic year.