In addition to having enough money in your name, your parent’s name, or your partner's name (if they are applying at the same time as you or they already have immigration permission) you will also have to:
1. Have held the required amount of money for at least 28 consecutive days before the date of the visa application, and
2. Have held the required amount of money on every day of the 28-day period i.e. you cannot have less than the required amount of money even for just one day during the 28 days, and
3. The end date of the 28-day period i.e. the date of the bank statement must be no more than 31 days before the date of the visa application.
4. Still have the required amount of money on the date of the visa application, and
5. Hold the money in a personal bank account, provided that you can access the funds immediately. These include current, deposit, savings and investment accounts, as well as pension funds which can be withdrawn.
6. Please note that business accounts, even if you, or your parent, are the sole owner of the enterprise, are not acceptable.
7. You cannot rely on money held in other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, credit cards overdrafts or pension funds which cannot be withdrawn immediately.
8. The UKVI will not consider funds held in a financial institution if it does not allow the visa officer to make 'satisfactory verification checks', is not regulated by an 'appropriate body or does not use 'electronic record keeping'
If you are relying on a loan to meet the maintenance requirement, you must have a loan which is provided by your national, state or regional government, a government sponsored student loan company, or an official educational/academic loan scheme.
Important: the date of your visa application
Please note that the date of your Student entry clearance application is the date that you pay the application fee. This is usually different to the date you provide your documents and biometrics at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) and is important when calculating the 28 days maintenance requirement.
If you’re not sure how much money you are required to have or in what format to hold it, please contact us using the online visa enquiry form.