You must provide the original versions of the documents below with your application.
Photocopies or scanned copies of the documents are not accepted. If you provide a document that is not in English you must also provide a fully certified translation of the document, which has been translated by a professional translator.
1. Proof that you have sufficient money for the maintenance requirement in the form of either *:
- Your bank statements; or
- Your parent's bank statements; or
- An official loan letter from your government or academic loan scheme; or
- An official letter of financial sponsorship from your government, or an international agency, confirming its financial support of you and its consent to you making the visa application.
Please note that the content and format of the financial documents you provide with your application must meet the exact requirements as set out by UKVI in its Tier 4 Student Policy Guidance. Failure to do so will mean that your application will be refused.
If you are using bank statements, or a loan, to meet the maintenance requirement, you should see the section in the guidance called, ‘Documents needed to show money available to you’. If you are sponsored by your government, or international agency, you should see the section in the guidance called ‘Documents need to show official financial sponsorship or government sponsorship'.
2. The certificates or transcripts of your educational qualifications which are listed on your CAS, including English language test certificate (if listed) *
You must provide the original certificates or transcripts. The only exception to this is if you applied for your Bachelor’s degree using UCAS and the qualification listed on your CAS was issued by a UK awarding body for a course that you have studied in the UK. In this case you can provide a copy of your transcript of the UK qualification.
3. Your current passport and all of your previous available passports
4. One passport-sized colour photograph
5. Fully completed and printed Tier 4 General application form
6. Your UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) (only if you have one because you have already been resident in the UK and were issued with a BRP)
7. Your birth certificate (only if you are using your parent’s bank statement)*
8. A letter of consent from your parents to you using their money in the UK for your education (only if you are using your parents’ bank statement)*
9. An ATAS clearance certificate (only if you are required to have one)
10. A TB clearance certificate (only if you are required to have one)
11. If you are aged under 18 at the date of application: a letter of consent from your parents confirming their relationship to you and their consent to your travel to and living arrangements in the UK and your birth certificate.
Different Documentary Requirements (Low-Risk Nationals)
If you are a national of one of the countries listed below, you do not have to provide your educational qualifications or financial documents with your Tier 4 application i.e. the documents marked in the list above with an asterisk *.
However, you must still meet the requirements of the immigration rules for the application i.e. have sufficient money for the required time and collect all of the documents as the UKVI can request that you provide the documents at a later stage before it will decide your application.
Argentina; Australia; Bahrain; Barbados; British National (Overseas); Botswana; Brunei; Cambodia; Canada; Chile; China; República Dominicana; Indonesia; Japan; Hong Kong; Kuwait; Macau SAR; Malaysia; The Maldives; Mexico; New Zealand; Qatar; Serbia; Singapore; South Korea; Taiwan; Thailand; Trinidad and Tobago; United Arab Emirates; United States of America (USA).
Please note that you must answer the question in the Tier 4 application form, which asks whether you wish to apply under the differentiation arrangements, correctly. If you are a national of one of the countries above you must answer ‘Yes’ to this question as otherwise you will not benefit from this arrangement and you will have to provide all of the documents with your application, including your financial and educational documents.
If you are not sure whether you need to provide a document with your application, or whether a document you have contains the correct information and is in the required format, please contact us using the online visa enquiry form.