Before you apply
Applicants must submit:
- An institutional (University of Brighton) research degree application (deadline 06 January 2020)
- A consortium (South Coast DTP) funding application. (We will support you in completing your funding application after the 06 January deadline prior to the South Coast DTP deadline of 23 January.)
Please make sure that you meet the entry requirements before making your application, and have read all of our advice about writing your research proposal and making an application on the above tabs.
Finding a supervisor
Applicants for advertised South Coast DTP projects can find details of the supervisors by following the project links above.
Applicants wishing to submit their own project ideas as a general application are required to identify potential supervisors from our social science Centres of Research and Excellence (COREs) and Research and Enterprise Groups (REGs) in the first instance (see Key Facts above for links). If you need help finding a potential supervisor, you can send a summary of your project or your area of interest to the Doctoral College via the email address below.
You should submit a research proposal (see Entry Requirements above for word limit) which demonstrates:
- your interest in the project
- what you would bring to the project
- how you would develop the project.
We recommend that you contact the project lead prior to completing your application.
Open call applications
You should submit a full research proposal (see Entry Requirements above for word limit) which includes:
- a description of your proposed research topic including the questions or hypotheses to be addressed
- the methods to be used and sources to be consulted
- a brief timetable covering the period of study (including details of field work)
- any ethical issues related to your research project
If you have already begun your doctoral study, please remember to refer to the research you have undertaken to date.
Apply online (all applicants)
To complete the application you'll need to upload the following:
- copies of your bachelors and masters certificates (if applicable), including transcripts
- copy of your IELTS (or equivalent) certificate (if applicable)
- copy of your passport
- two references uploaded or requested – one must be an academic reference from your most recent period of study, both must have been written within the last year
- copy of your research proposal.
To make your application, follow the following steps.
- Click on the ‘apply online now’ button on the right.
- Select 'create a new account' to register and start a new application.
- Once you are logged on, select 'apply to a new course'.
- Select the type of course 'research degree'.
- Select mode of study 'full-time' or 'part-time'.
- Select 'Doctoral College'.
- Select the course 'South Coast DTP (ESRC)' (full-time or part-time).
- Click 'apply'.
You will now be able to complete the online application form.