Before you apply
Make sure that you meet the entry requirements before making your application, and have read all of our advice about finding a research supervisor, writing your research proposal and making an application on the following tabs. You should apply by the deadline.
Finding a supervisor
Applicants for pre-approved SCDTP projects can find details of the supervisors using the project links above. Applicants wishing to submit their own project ideas as a general application are required to identify potential supervisors from our social science centres of research and enterprise excellence in the first instance (see key facts links above) or from relevant Research and Enterprise Groups. If you need help to find a potential supervisor, you can send a summary of your project or your area of interest to us through the enquiry form below.
Approved project-led applications
There is no requirement for you to prepare a research proposal for these awards. However, it is essential you submit a personal statement (maximum 1500) words. This should include:
- information about your background
- your research interests and experience
- detail about what you would bring to the project.
If you have any questions about the project please contact the named supervisor.
You should submit a research proposal (approx. 2,000 words) including project research questions and methodology.
Apply online (all applicants)
To complete the application you'll need to upload the following:
- copies of your bachelors and masters certificates (if applicable), including transcripts
- copy of your IELTS (or equivalent) certificate (if applicable)
- copy of your passport
- two references uploaded or requested – one must be an academic reference from your most recent period of study, both must have been written within the last year.
- Copy of your personal statement/research proposal
To make your application, follow the following steps.
- Click on the ‘apply online now’ button on the right.
- Select 'create a new account' to register and start a new application.
- Once you are logged on, select 'apply to a new course'.
- Select the type of course 'research degree'.
- Select mode of study 'full-time' or 'part-time'.
- Select 'Doctoral College'.
- Select the course '(ESRC) South Coast DTP (full-time or part-time)'.
- Click 'apply'.
You will now be able to complete the online application form.