About this fund
The Student Support Fund is a university fund available to 'Home' undergraduate and PGCE students, including EEA nationals who are receipt of a maintenance loan.
It is a non-repayable grant awarded to students who need extra financial support with living costs or who are experiencing financial hardship.
You can apply to this fund during any and every year of study. The fund is open to full and part-time students.
How are applications assessed?
Applications are assessed based on individual need and financial circumstances over the whole year, however the Funds Panel will consider exceptional circumstances on a discretionary basis. Evidence will be required.
Any award that is granted will usually first be used to cover any existing university debt you may have when you apply. Any remaining balance will be paid directly into your bank account either as a lump sum or in termly instalments, depending on your circumstances.
Who is eligible
You are eligible to apply for the Student Support Fund (undergraduates) if you are:
- an undergraduate or PGCE student
- normally resident in the UK
- eligible for funding as a Home student, including EEA nationals who are receipt of a maintenance loan
- an eligible apprentice enrolled on a level 4,5 or 6 programme
- in receipt of the maximum statutory funding to which you are entitled.
How to apply
You access the online application by logging in to the Student View area of My Brighton. If you require braille or audio versions or you have any difficulty with the online form, please contact us on 01273 642888 or email email@example.com.
You can only apply for the fund once each academic year, and you must be fully enrolled at the university before applying.
- Continuing and PGCE students can apply from Monday 11 September 2023
- New students can apply from Monday 25 September 2023
- Final year and PGCE students must apply by 3 May 2024
- New and continuing students must apply by 7 June 2024.
Health science students
Undergraduate and pre-registration postgraduate students eligible to receive a Maintenance and Tuition Fee Loan can apply to the Student Support Fund, but the application dates for nursing students are slightly different due to the length of the academic year and cohort.
- September cohort nurses can apply between 25 September 2023 – 28June 2024
- Continuing February cohort nurses can apply between 25 September 2023 – 31 January 2024 or 1 February 2024 – 28 June 2024 or 2 months before the end of the course, whichever is earlier.
- If you are progressing in February 2024, you can apply again when you enter the next academic year.
Please contact the Funds team on 01273 642888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this.