About these scholarships
These scholarships are for students currently studying at the University of Brighton and expecting to begin PhD study in the first week of January or February of each year.
A maximum of two international research scholarships worth the full tuition fee for each year of your postgraduate research degree (for up to a maximum of three years), are available to outstanding international research students currently studying at the University of Brighton at masters level in any subject area.
Deadline: 5pm on 31 October each year.
Important: to be considered for this scholarship, applicants must have received and accepted an offer on the University of Brighton’s PhD programme. Please allow a minimum 4-week duration from the date of application for PhD study to an offer being made. We recommend you submit your PhD application by the 15 September. After this date, we cannot guarantee it will be processed in time for the deadline.
The criteria for awarding University of Brighton international research scholarships are:
- The candidate’s academic merit
- The candidate’s personal attributes and interpersonal skills required, in their view, to engage fully and contribute to the research culture of the University of Brighton
- How the University of Brighton scholarship and studying at a UK Higher Education will benefit the candidate (and/or their community) and influence their research career
- A PhD project, which finds its place within existing research carried out at the university. Please include evidence of having worked with a supervisor on the research proposal
- How the candidate intends to fund their living costs.
Who is eligible
In order to be eligible for the scholarship, you must meet all the following criteria:
- You must have full fee-paying international student status.
- You must be a current masters level student registered at the University of Brighton, who will hold a final degree result of merit or above before enrolment onto the PhD programme.
- You must have received and accepted an offer to undertake a PhD at the University of Brighton.
How to apply
Please email us as described below and we will send you a scholarship application form.
Subject line: your current student number and 'International Scholarship'
Contents: incorporate the following text in your correspondence:
I am currently a masters level student registered at the University of Brighton, expecting to achieve a degree result of merit or above. I have submitted a full application for PhD study at the University of Brighton, which demonstrates evidence of having worked with a supervisor on the research proposal.
Deadline for application
The deadline for completed applications is 5pm on 31 October of each year. Your application will be considered at the appropriate Doctoral College committee meeting prior to your intended start date.
The decision of the Doctoral College committee will be communicated to applicants soon after the meeting and that decision is final. Please note that accompanying documentation will not be returned.