About this bursary
This bursary is for undergraduate students starting their course at the University of Brighton in academic year 2021-22. You eligibility is assessed based on your application to Student Finance England for their full undergraduate funding package. This bursary is also for students starting a non-salaried designated PGCE or designated postgraduate pre-registration health course, subject to eligibility for the same SfE undergraduate funding package.
The award is a cash bursary of £500 in each year of study.
Students on part-time courses studying between 30 and 90 credits during the year, who meet the other criteria will receive a pro rata cash bursary in each year of study.
The bursary will be paid in two equal instalments in January 2022 and May 2022.
Alternative financial support
If you are a care leaver or an estranged student you will not be eligible for the University of Brighton bursary but alternative support may be available:
Student Support Fund
If you experience short term financial hardship you can apply for additional help from the Student Support Fund.
Who is eligible?
* We await guidance from the UK government about full eligibility criteria for the student loan package in academic year 2021–22. The outline below provides a guide, full eligibility criteria to be confirmed in due course.
To be eligible for this bursary, you must be a starting a full-time course in academic year 2021-22.
You must also be:
- starting in an undergraduate course or non-salaried designated PGCE or designated pre-registration postgraduate health sciences course
- have a residual household income of up to £25,000 per year
- not already in receipt of our care leavers' or estranged students' bursary
- be assessed as eligible for the full undergraduate Student Finance England funding package
- meet residency criteria*
- students on part-time courses studying between 30 and 90 credits during the academic year, who meet the other criteria, will receive a pro rata cash bursary.
Your eligibility for this bursary will be re-assessed each academic year.
Students in receipt of other bursaries or grants may not be eligible for this bursary.
How to apply
You do not need to make a separate application to be considered for this bursary. We will automatically assess your eligibility based on the information you have provided to UCAS and Student Finance England.
Please make sure that you:
- Apply to Student Finance England as soon as you can. Applications usually open in spring term 2021.
- Agree to Student Finance England sharing the information. Contact Student Finance England if you are not sure whether you have given this permission.
We will email you in the autumn term 2021 to confirm whether you will receive this bursary for the academic year.