About this bursary
This bursary is for undergraduate students who are starting their course in 2018-19 and who are normally resident in England or a non-UK EU country. It supports students from lower income families and is funded by the university.
The award is a cash bursary of £500 for each year of study.
Students on part-time courses who meet the above criteria will receive a pro rata cash bursary. Eligibility criteria apply.
Additional financial support
If you are a care leaver or an estranged student additional support may be available:
Student Support Fund
If you are in hardship you can apply for additional help from the Student Support Fund in every year of your course.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible to apply for this bursary you must:
- full-time undergraduate students
- assessed as eligible to receive full Student Finance England funding
- ordinarily resident in England or a non-UK EU country
- family residual income of £25,000 p.a. or under.
- Part-time students registered on an eligible course for between 30 and 90 credits, will be eligible for a pro rata bursary.
Students in receipt of an external bursary may not be eligible for university bursaries.
How to apply
You do not need to make a separate application to be considered for this bursary, unless you are an EU student, as we use the information you have provided to UCAS and Student Finance England to assess your eligibility. EU students need to complete the EU Higher Education Bursary application form provided by the EU team at Student Finance England when you apply for a tuition fee loan.
Please make sure that you:
- apply for your student loans and maintenance grant as soon as possible;
- apply for means-tested support and agree to Student Finance England sharing the information you (or your parent/guardian) provide about household income (we need this information to assess your eligibility and we only see it if permission has been given); and
- contact Student Finance England if you are not sure whether you have given this permission.
We will email you in the autumn of the year you start your course to confirm whether you will receive this bursary.