How does the programme work?
Each student is paired with a mentor for six months. During this time, students and their mentors meet regularly to exchange ideas and information, allowing the student to develop new skills and enhance their career prospects.
Full training is given to both mentors and mentees so that everyone can benefit as much as possible from the programme.
Who can apply?
The programme is open to current students at the University of Brighton and University of Sussex who identify or have identified, as lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans.
Why take part?
By taking part in The LGBT+ Uni-Amex mentoring programme you will:
- Identify and build the skills you need to develop (eg presentation skills, networking techniques, interview and management styles, CVs etc)
- Gain an opportunity to develop your confidence
- Get a regular boost to achieve in your course and focus your career plans
- Make professional contacts in business
- Gain insight into how businesses run.
What commitment is involved?
You will be expected to:
- Attend the induction session where you will hear how to get the most from your mentoring sessions
- Meet with your mentor for a total of at least 12 hours (approximately two hours per month)
- Keep in regular phone/email contact with your mentor and prepare for meetings
- Attend the mid-term event in March
- Complete and return an evaluation questionnaire
- Attend the awards ceremony in May
- Keep in regular contact with the programme coordinator throughout your mentoring experience.
There will also be opportunities to socialise, network and share your experiences with other students and mentors on the programme, as well as students and mentors on other mentoring programmes organised by the Careers Service.
When does it happen?
The programme starts in November and culminates in an awards ceremony and review in May.