A foundation diploma is not a requirement for entry – it is just one of a range of qualifications (for example, A-level, BTEC or Access diploma) that is accepted for admission to the course.
A-levels or BTEC
Entry requirements are in the range of A-level BBC–CCC (112–96 UCAS Tariff points), or BTEC Extended Diploma DDM–MMM. You will be considered if your predicted grades fall within this range, but any offer will be made based on assessment of portfolio/interview.
26 points, with three subjects at Higher level.
Access to HE Diploma
Pass with 60 credits overall. At least 45 credits at level 3, with 24 credits at merit or above.
GCSE (minimum grade C or grade 4)
At least English language and maths.
May enable you to start the course in year 2. Direct entry to year 3: foundation degree or DipHE in related subject, or practical experience.
Studied before or got relevant experience?
A qualification, HE credits or relevant experience may count towards your course at Brighton, and could mean that you do not have to take some elements of the course or can start in year 2 or 3.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each element. Find out more about the other English qualifications that we accept.
Portfolio and interview advice
Applying for a place in 2020?
In your portfolio, we would like to see:
- examples of work that demonstrates how you develop ideas. The work can be in any medium or combination of media, for example drawing, interactive, typography, collage, photography, performance, video
- evidence of personal work, drawing, use of type, collage, photography, and other mediums. What are your interests in the world?
- your ability to develop an idea from concept, to a finished project
- sketchbooks showing how you experiment and explore different techniques and media
- any completed moving image, animation, interactive work or gifs (show on Vimeo)
- several examples of finished outcomes in either 2D or animation or moving image
- your potential to experiment and explore ideas, using different techniques and media
- a passion for graphic design illustration.
We recommend using Flickr, Tumblr or making a pdf to create a simple portfolio / blog and Vimeo or YouTube for embedding video. Please note that it is not a strict requirement to have previous film and video work at interview stage. We welcome a creative portfolio and an interest in exploring moving image in future works.
Interviews normally take place in person, but temporarily from March 2020, we'll be asking you to submit an online portfolio instead.