A-levels or BTEC
Entry requirements are in the range of A-level BBB–CCC (120–96 UCAS Tariff points), or BTEC Extended Diploma DDM–MMM. Our conditional offers typically fall within this range. We are looking for highly motivated and creative students. We will consider you on an individual basis. Your portfolio is the most important and mandatory part of your application. If your predicted or actual grades fall below the range below but you can evidence your thinking, ideas and abilities through a high-quality portfolio we will still consider your application.
Art foundation diploma
Pass. A foundation diploma is not a requirement for entry – it is just one of a range of qualifications that is accepted for admission to this course.
Access to HE diploma
Pass with 60 credits overall. Art and design courses preferred. At least 45 credits at level 3, and 30 credits must be at merit or above.
English language and maths at grade 4 or grade C.
May enable you to start the course in year 2 or later depending on the qualification you hold and the level of your creative and practical experience.
For non-native speakers of English
IELTS 6.0 overall, with 6.0 in writing and at least 5.5 in the other elements.
Pre-selection portfolio – online portfolio of 15-20 images
We are looking for evidence of ideas in any format (sketchbooks, layout books etc), backed up by a broad range of skills showing how you generate and develop ideas, and that you are passionate and inquisitive about the subject.
- Drawing is essential in all its forms
- Narrative, storytelling – these should also be key components in your work
- Key words to think about are: invention, imagination, expression, exploration
You need to be highly motivated and well prepared as we normally interview over 170 applicants. In the interviews we expect applicants to show evidence of:
- Drawing ability and use of sketch books or worksheets
- Imagination and visual awareness through enthusiasm for images (collected work)
- Evidence of independence and initiative in work produced
- Being able to articulate ideas and problem solve
- Have an understanding of the historical contexts of subjects
- Openness to having work critically judged and developing critical judgment
- Varied interests in general subjects
- Skills in making objects
We are not looking for highly finished work. The portfolio, ideally in chronological order, should show a broad range of work both successful and unsuccessful.