The entry requirements listed here are our typical offer for this course if you wish to begin studying with us in 2017. They should be used as a general guide.
We operate a flexible admissions policy – this means that you could receive a lower conditional offer than the typical offer, informed by our assessment of your complementary non-academic achievements and experiences. For courses that require interview or portfolio review, this may also be considered in the level of any conditional offer that follows if your application is successful.
We are looking for highly motivated and creative students. We will primarily be interested in your portfolio and will select via a personal interview. If your predicted grades fall below these requirements but you can demonstrate a high-quality portfolio, you are still encouraged to apply. We will consider you on an individual basis.
A foundation diploma is not a requirement for entry – it is just one of a range of qualifications that is accepted for admission to this course.
for those applying with A-levels only, grades ABB are expected, supported by a strong portfolio.
Access to HE Diploma
pass with 60 credits overall. Art and design diploma preferred. At least 45 credits at level 3, with 30 credits at merit or above.
GCSE (minimum grade C)
a good profile.
May enable you to start the course in year 2.
Direct entry to year 3: foundation degree or DipHE in related subject, or practical experience.
Direct entry to year 4: honours degree in related subject and creative practical experience. Ability to work at postgraduate level.
For non-native speakers of English
IELTS 6.0 overall, with 6.0 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in the other elements.
Direct entry to year 3 requires a foundation degree or DipHE in related subjects, or practical or professional experience. Direct entry to year 4 requires an honours degree or equivalent in related subject, and prior work or creative practical experience. You must demonstrate ability to work at postgraduate level.
We request to see a pre-selection online portfolio of 15-20 images. We are looking for evidence of ideas in any format (sketchbooks, layout books etc), backed up by a broad range of skills showing how you generate and develop ideas, and that you are passionate and inquisitive about the subject.
- Typography in all its forms, eg. expressive, applied, kinetic
- Photography – inventive, creative and applied
- Type and image – be imaginative, bold and creative
- Think “invention, imagination, expression, exploration”
- Do not include life drawing, unless it is part of a project.
You need to be highly motivated and well prepared as we normally interview over 170 applicants. In the interviews we expect applicants to show evidence of:
- Drawing ability and use of sketch books or worksheets
- Imagination and visual awareness through enthusiasm for images (collected work)
- Evidence of independence and initiative in work produced
- Being able to articulate ideas and problem solve
- Have an understanding of the historical contexts of subjects
- Openness to having work critically judged and developing critical judgment
- Varied interests in general subjects
- Skills in making objects.
We are not looking for highly finished work. The portfolio, ideally in chronological order, should show a broad range of work both successful and unsuccessful.