Degree and experience
You should hold a degree or professional qualification, for example nursing or teaching. You will need to have successfully completed an accredited, externally assessed counselling skills course that:
- is at least level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills which ordinarily involves at least 30 hours of face-to-face tuition at level 2 or level 3 (online courses are not acceptable). Please note L2 Award, Helping Skills and Introductory courses are not accepted.
- includes both theory and practice
- was gained within the last six years.
You must have experience of working with people in a helping capacity and access to clients throughout the course. Ideally, you will have gained some counselling experience through full or part-time employment, or through voluntary or pastoral work.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each element. Find out more about the other English qualifications that we accept.
We expect to offer 22–25 places for this course and hold a reserve list of four.
- Submit your completed application by 15 January, this includes completed references.
- Ensure that you accurately record all relevant completed or pending qualifications – scan and attach your certificates.
- Provide two references – alert your referees that they should receive an email request and to check all email folders. Please note It is up to you to follow up with referees to ensure these are submitted before the deadline of 15 January.
- Please note failure to provide the correct information or references by the deadline may result in your application being rejected.
- Our admissions office reviews all applications.
- Complete applications meeting the entry criteria are submitted to the course tutor for review and selection.
- All fully completed applications received by 15 January will receive equal consideration.
- Candidates will be selected for interview based on the strength of their application.
- Applications received after this date may still be considered if we have vacancies on the course or for a place on the reserve list.
- Selected applicants are invited for interview from 1 February.
- You will be asked to write a character sketch to bring to your interview.
- You will be interviewed by two course tutors.
- Successful applicants will be made an offer of a place on the course in April/May, once all applicants have been interviewed.
- You will be advised if this is a reserve list place – reserve places become available if a candidate needs to decline their accepted offer at a later date.
- Meet any conditions of your offer. This may include submitting evidence of the qualification you are studying.
- Pay the non-refundable £250 deposit to confirm your place on the course. This is required within one month of your offer being made or we may offer your place to another candidate.