The entry requirements listed here are our typical offer for this course if you wish to begin studying with us in 2022. They should be used as a general guide.
Normally an honours degree, or equivalent qualification, in the subject specialism or a subject that is directly relevant.
GCSE (minimum grade C or grade 4)
At least English language and maths. Equivalence tests are available for suitable candidates.
How can I develop my subject knowledge?
Students should gain a range of National Governing Body coaching qualifications before beginning this course, particularly in swimming, trampolining and athletics. Students are also expected to have experience of working in schools.
What should I include in my personal statement?
In your personal statement we are looking for a positive motivation and commitment to physical education teaching in schools; an understanding of the nature, place and value of physical education in the curriculum and the relevance of your experience and education to this chosen path. Reading Becoming a Physical Education Teacher written by the route leader, Dr Gary Stidder, will help you write your personal statement and when attending interview.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- GCSE PE; A-level PE; BTEC Sport; UK Sports Leaders Awards
- Teaching/coaching qualifications (swimming, athletics, trampolining, for example)
While experience in a school is not a condition of entry for initial teacher education courses we recommend that you take up opportunities to gain a realistic understanding of whether teaching is right for you. The Get Into Teaching School Experience Programme offers opportunities across the country to book a day’s worth of experience.
- Interviews for this course are currently taking place online.
- All offers of places are subject to a satisfactory health check and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check.
- Applicants from minority ethnic and other groups under-represented in the profession are particularly welcome.
English language requirements
IELTS 7.0 in all elements.