Degree and experience
Honours degree or equivalent in a relevant area. Other candidates with relevant experience and demonstrable ability are also considered.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each element. Find out more about the other English qualifications that we accept.
International students whose language skills do not match the IELTS scores set out here should consider applying for this course through our Extended Masters programme.
We do not have a set deadline to receive applications, but recommend submitting before the end of May.
When submitting your online application, we ask that it include a research statement. This should detail your interests as an artist and outline the scope and method of your intended study. It should also include a short bibliography. It does not need to be any longer than one side of an A4 sheet and you should add any back-up sketches or photographs you feel you need on a separate sheet. As a brief guide, we suggest you write your statement under the following headings:
- title and any sub-title of the work proposed
- aims and objectives of the work
- a description of what the work will involve
- how you would start your research for the work
- possible technical requirements
- any other information you think is relevant.
In your portfolio you should present 15–20 still images (or other formats if working in sound and media arts) online. Please provide a URL for your portfolio in your application.
We strongly advise you to upload your images to an image-sharing website where tags can be used as specific search criteria to help us locate your images quickly. If you wish to host your images on your own website, the URL must be clearly marked on your application.
Each image should be clearly marked with the following information.
- Description: Please include the title of the work and the date it was completed (time‐based work can be presented as screenshots/stills)
- Optional information: A brief description of your work related to each still image (max 20 words per image)
Image specification and format
All images must be in JPEG format: flattened, optimised for web/screen viewing and 72ppi (pixels per inch), with maximum dimensions of 500 pixels on the longest side. Adobe Photoshop is the ideal programme to use for this.
Find out more about how to create and submit your portfolio.