A-levels or BTEC
Entry requirements are in the range of A-level BBB–CCC (120–96 UCAS Tariff points), or BTEC Extended Diploma DDM–MMM. Our conditional offers typically fall within this range. We are looking for highly motivated and creative students. We will consider you on an individual basis. Your portfolio is the most important and mandatory part of your application. If your predicted or actual grades fall below the range below but you can evidence your thinking, ideas and abilities through a high-quality portfolio we will still consider your application.
Art foundation diploma
Pass. A foundation diploma is not a requirement for entry – it is just one of a range of qualifications that is accepted for admission to this course.
Access to HE diploma
Pass with 60 credits overall. Art and design courses preferred. At least 45 credits at level 3, and 30 credits must be at merit or above.
GCSE (minimum grade C or grade 4)
At least English language and maths.
Studied before or got relevant experience?
A qualification, HE credits or relevant experience may count towards your course at Brighton, and could mean that you do not have to take some elements of the course or can start in year 2 or 3.
For non-native speakers of English
IELTS 6.0 overall, with 6.0 in writing and at least 5.5 in the other elements
Portfolio and interview advice
Interview and portfolio
If you are invited to interview, please bring a diverse portfolio of drawings and ideas. This should be 15–20 A2 sheets (not mounted onto heavy card or in plastic sheets) showing:
- evidence of an awareness of concept, image, illustration, film
- evidence of use of drawing to record and develop ideas
- experimental approaches to investigation and discovery of materials/processes
- ability to carry an idea forward from concept
- potential to experiment and explore ideas, techniques
- examples of life drawing
- 2D visual evidence of development
- two working sketchbooks, source ideas, experimentation.
We also expect applicants to demonstrate an awareness
of fashion and fashion communication within a wider context, eg fashion trends, artistic, cultural and social movements.
Once you have applied we request a digital FLICKR portfolio consisting of 15–20 images containing:
• drawing ability and experimentation
• conceptual ideas
• two or three sketchbook pages
• ideas related to fashion
• 2D or 3D experimentation ideas or tests.