A-levels or BTEC
Entry requirements are in the range of A-level BBB–BCC (120–104 UCAS Tariff points), or BTEC Extended Diploma DDM–MMM. Our conditional offers typically fall within this range. We are looking for highly motivated and creative students. We will consider you on an individual basis. Your portfolio is the most important and mandatory part of your application. If your predicted or actual grades fall below the range below but you can evidence your thinking, ideas and abilities through a high-quality portfolio we will still consider your application.
Art foundation diploma
Pass. A foundation diploma is not a requirement for entry – it is just one of a range of qualifications that is accepted for admission to this course.
30 points, with three subjects at Higher level.
Access to HE diploma
Pass with 60 credits overall. Art and design courses preferred. At least 45 credits at level 3, and 30 credits must be at merit or above.
May enable you to start the course in year 2 or later depending on the qualification you hold and the level of your creative and practical experience.
Studied before or got relevant experience?
A qualification, HE credits or relevant experience may count towards your course at Brighton, and could mean that you do not have to take some elements of the course or can start in year 2 or 3.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each element. Find out more about the other English qualifications that we accept.
Portfolio and interview
Your online portfolio should consist of at least 20 images including:
- three examples of drawing – these can include observational drawing, life drawing, developmental drawing, location drawing, drawing from life
- three images showing technical skills or experimentation that may include photography, printmaking, 3D, films, animation, digital imagery
- four images demonstrating image making or illustration.
- two images of your sketchbooks.
- one image showing your inspirations or interests – for example folk, the environment, film, feminism, gender issues, politics, the everyday, science, sport, the natural world, music, fiction, spirituality, documentary, TV Shows
- one image of your favourite book or film
- one image of an example of what you think is a successful piece of visual communication
- possible profile film introducing yourself, three minutes maximum in length.
Please contextualise the images with some form of annotation – where the images are part of a college or school project, or self directed.
Remember that we are trying to find out a bit more about your abilities and potential both in terms of visual material provided but also in what you are interested in, and what you know of illustration as a subject.
We are not looking for highly finished work. The portfolio, ideally in chronological order, should show a broad range of work both successful and unsuccessful.
Find out more about how to create and submit your portfolio.